Akoustis Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKTS) (“Akoustis” or the “Company”), an integrated device manufacturer (IDM) of patented bulk acoustic wave (BAW) high-band RF filters for mobile and other wireless applications, announced the issuance of nine new patents related to its innovative BAW resonators, piezoelectric materials, XBAW manufacturing process, wide-bandwidth RF filters and its applications in 5G mobile and other wireless devices.
The new issuances bring the total number of Akoustis’ patents to 47, with 78 additional patents pending as of April 23, 2021. The newly issued patents include the following:
- XBAW® – Structure and Method of Manufacture for Acoustic Resonator or Filter Devices (US 10,979,011)
- XBAW® – Structure and Method of Manufacture for Acoustic Resonator or Filter Devices (US 10,931,251)
- XBAW® – Monolithic Single Chip Integrated RF Front End Module Configured with Single Crystal Acoustic Filter Devices (US 10,957,688)
- 5G – Band n79 Acoustic Wave Resonator RF Filter Circuit (US 10,979,025)
- WiFi 6 – 5.2 GHz WiFi Coexistence Acoustic Wave Resonator RF Filter Circuit (US 10,979,024)
- WiFi 6 – 5.2 GHz WiFi Acoustic Wave Resonator RF Filter Circuit (US 10,979,022)
- WiFi 6 – 5.6 GHz WiFi Acoustic Wave Resonator RF Filter Circuit (US 10,985,732)
- WiFi 6E – 5.5 GHz WiFi 5G Coexistence Acoustic Wave Resonator RF Filter Circuit (US 10,979,026)
- Automotive – 5.9 GHz C-V2X and DSRC Acoustic Wave Resonator RF Filter Circuit (US 10,979,023)
In addition to its patent portfolio, Akoustis’ IP includes the ownership of valuable trade secrets associated with manufacturing its proprietary XBAW® bulk acoustic wave (BAW) high-band RF filter products and single-crystal piezoelectric materials. More detailed information on the Akoustis patent portfolio can be found at http://www.akoustis.com/patents/.
Jeff Shealy, CEO of Akoustis, commented “Since we started Akoustis, we believed a significant IP and patent portfolio would ultimately be a key driver of value for our shareholders and other stakeholders. We will continue to invest in innovative IP to create unique RF solutions and to protect our XBAW® bulk acoustic wave technology.”
Akoustis is actively delivering volume production of its WiFi 6 tandem filter solutions, shipping multiple 5G small cell XBAW® filter solutions, delivering initial designs of its new 5G mobile filter solutions to multiple customers and is now entering the market with its new WiFi 6E coexistence XBAW® filter solutions.
Given the rapidly growing sales funnel activity as well as ongoing interaction with customers regarding expected ramps in both 5G mobile and WiFi 6E in calendar 2022, the Company plans to double the annual production capacity at its New York fab by the end of calendar 2021.
Akoustis currently has 15 commercial XBAW filters in its product catalog, and recently introduced 5.6 GHz and 6.6 GHz WiFi 6E coexistence filter modules, which when qualified, will bring the number of catalog products to 17. Current product catalog filters include a 5.6 GHz WiFi filter, a 5.2 GHz WiFi filter, a 5.5 GHz WiFi-6E filter, a 6.5 GHz WiFi 6E filter, three small cell 5G network infrastructure filters including two Band n77 filters and one Band n79 filter, a 3.8 GHz filter and five S-Band filters for defense phased-array radar applications, a 3.6 GHz filter for the CBRS 5G infrastructure market and a C-Band filter for the unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) market. The Company is also developing several new filters for the sub-7 GHz bands targeting 5G mobile device, network infrastructure, WiFi CPE and defense markets.